with Life’s Little Laughables

Monday, August 19, 2013

Back To School Lament

Well...it's that time of year again...back to school!  I realize, as I was completely dreading this change to our relaxing, summer routine, that this viewpoint is such a relative experience.

I would imagine that if you were a teacher and you actually had the summer's off, you would dread having to go back to work after enjoying the summer vacationing.  But as I write this, I think that perspective really depends on if you have kids or not.  I guess my fantasy is that I am a teacher with the summer's off and I get to travel and go to the beach and pretty much do whatever I would like with my days.  However, if you throw a houseful of kids into that picture, particularly if they are young and rambunctious, well then, that time off would not be enjoyable and I would be counting the days to the return of the school year. (Hmmmm...I am thinking this is making me sound quite jaded considering I am a parent...or lazy...or a little of both).

Another perspective is that if I was a teacher who was completely passionate about my job, I would look forward to another school year as a new adventure with a fresh group of students who's lives I could positively impact (I am happy to say that I have actually had the pleasure of knowing such a person).  Whereas, if I was a teacher that completely hated my job, I would certainly be in the dread category (I am not so happy to say that one of my daughters had such a person and it was not a good year).

If I was a stay-at-home mom, I would be SO siked for the return of the school year (and my peaceful days).  In fact, two years ago, I was in between jobs and boy did I feel such elation at the start of the schoool year, such that I was dancing and singing up at the bus stop that first day.  (Ironically, the elation eventually faded when I realized my days consisted of doing laundry and cleaning and figuring out what to make for dinner and after school snacks, etc.  I will note that bed time was a lot more peaceful since I was not out of my mind exhausted from having a stressful day at work and then trying to cram all that stuff into the evening and then be falling asleep before it was my kids bedtime.  I actually was a better, more patient parent.  Go figure.) 

If I was a kid who loved school, whether due to a love of learning or a love of seeing my friends, I would relish the return of the school year.  On the contrary, if I was a kid who hated school because of the homework or the hassle or the classes or the kids, well then I would be in the dread category.

Being a full-time working mom, all that the return to school gives me is earlier, more hectic mornings, and much more busy nights with homework and clubs and dance classes, etc.; I dread all of this added stress to my days (being the serenity seeker that I am).  And compound that with the fact that I am NOT a morning person, it all adds up to one colossal dread of this time of year.  To make matters worse, I think about how I have 9 more years of having kids in school and 9 more years of getting up early and 9 more years of this hassle...but this is where I stop with this trainwreck of thinking.  We are not supposed to wish our lives away.  We have to enjoy each moment; carpe diem; live fully for each day; relish each season...yea, yea, yea, I know what I am supposed to be thinking.  Maybe one day I will get there. 


Already dreading that alarm going off in the morning,

Me


Motivational Moment:

Here are some quotes (taken from this site: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/high-octane-women/201205/50-quotes-help-you-live-you-were-dying) to help those of us who are not morning people or who aren't living for the here and now:

1."To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions." ~William James
2.  "I'm less interested in why we're here. I'm wholly devoted to while we're here." ~Erika Harris
3.  Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons. ~Ruth Ann Schabacker
4.  Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is the special occasion. ~Author Unknown
5.  The moment when you first wake up in the morning is the most wonderful of the twenty-four hours. No matter how weary or dreary you may feel, you possess the certainty that, during the day that lies before you, absolutely anything may happen. And the fact that it practically always doesn't, matters not a jot. The possibility is always there. ~Monica Baldwin
6.  "Why be saddled with this thing called life expectancy? Of what relevance to an individual is such a statistic? Am I to concern myself with an allotment of days I never had and was never promised? Must I check off each day of my life as if I am subtracting from this imaginary hoard? No, on the contrary, I will add each day of my life to my treasure of days lived. And with each day, my treasure will grow, not diminish." ~Robert Brault

And my favorite one:

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand, and melting like a snowflake." ~Marie Ray

May you spread your brilliance and shine today!

And as this new school year starts, I wish the absolute best for all students and teachers and parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment