with Life’s Little Laughables

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Domestic Goddess Envy

What is it about never having enough hours in the day?!  What is the deal?  It is not freaking Rocket Science for crying out loud!  It is "time" and we all have the same amount of time in a day.

So I have decided that it must be me.  I mean, there are some people who seem to have it SO together!  These are the people who, should you happen to stop over their house unannounced, you would find it clutter-free and "ready for entertainment".  These people are also the ones who are able to sit out on their porch or deck in the evening, just relaxing and hanging out.  I have tried telling myself that I need to make an "appointment" so I can sit out and enjoy the beautiful weather every evening (since winter here lasts like 6 months and there is no relaxing happening sitting out in the freezing cold.  Brrrr!).  And yet I never seem to find the "TIME".  UGH!

Perhaps it could have something to do with the fact that I am not a Domestic Goddess.  As much as I would love to be!  I want the perfect-ordered house, with the perfect meals, and with time to enjoy the evening with my family and friends.  Maybe I lack the gene.  I mean, if you stopped by my house unannounced, you would see "clutter" EVERYWHERE!!  We are not talking like one counter or table or even one room for Pete's Sake!  (Who IS Pete by the way? And why do we always talk about his sake?  Sorry...I digress.)

It just seems like I ALWAYS have dishes to do or laundry.  Ha!  Laundry - now there's a topic.  I mean we ALL wear clothes.  Everyone has to do laundry.  Maybe it is in my DNA that I 'should have' been born rich.  Maybe that's the problem.  Because one would think that it truly is a fact of life and one would be accepting of the reality and just do it.  All the time.  Nope - not me...I am like "How could there possibly be more laundry to do?!  It is ALL I ever do".  Well - apparently it is not ALL I ever do, or I wouldn't have baskets of it waiting for me now.  That and the fact that I live in a household with five people.  Hellooo - reality is knocking...time to go do some laundry... 


In Hopes of Finding Time,
Me


Motivational Moment:

So I found it ironic that, as I was on my way to sit at my computer and type this entry, I came across two quotes that directly related to this topic (which also tells me that I am not alone in my lack of Domestic Goddess stature!).  How cool is that.  I did not have to search for them, they literally fell into my lap this morning.  I love serendipitous moments like that!! 

1. "I wish I could stand on a busy corner, hat in hand, and beg people to throw me all their wasted hours."  ~Bernard Berenson

This quote was delivered to my email from a daily affirmation from Dr. Terry Gordon's website.  As stated in my first blog, I love all things motivational - including daily affirmations.  I recently heard about Dr. Terry Gordon and decided to check out his website.  He is a cardiologist who experienced a family tragedy; he has a very inspirational life story.

2. "Unplug.  We often rate our days by what we've accomplished, applauding ourselves for a workout logged, an errand completed, a task crossed off.  But consider grading today on a new curve:  Give yourself credit not for doing but simply for being - for taking time to sit alone, listening, daydreaming, creating space to think.  Only then can you connect with the most important person in your world: yourself."  SELF Magazine, August 2012

See there!  I can't do laundry now!  I must go sit in the back yard and relax and daydream! 

*Sigh*  If only I had the time...

1 comment:

  1. Take the moment and relax in the backyard. It's going to be cold up by you soon - enjoy your outdoor moments! Add a glass of red wine and erase the miles between us, and I would join you. - Ker

    ReplyDelete