with Life’s Little Laughables

Saturday, February 12, 2022

For The Love Of Movies, Movie Theaters, and Good Memories

I went to the movies tonight, at an actual movie theater, and it felt like I was walking in the past.  Even stopping in the bathroom after the movie, when normally it would be bustling with people, happily discussing the movie they just watched, this time, the big bathroom was eerily empty, reminding me of a ghost town, or a zombie movie where no one else is around.


This makes me sad for so many reasons.  I have always loved going to movie theaters.  I love the escape from reality they offer.  I love immersing myself in a good movie.  I loved going to the movies as a kid, as a teen, and as a parent.  When my daughters were old enough to go to their first animated movie in the theater. it was so special watching them experience the big screen.  And then when the movie ended and the happy music was playing, they would run to the front of the empty theater and gleefully dance and run.  It was pure joy to watch their happiness. A beautiful moment in time; a cherished memory always.  

As mentioned in previous posts, this is my 50th year of life.  Something I still can't wrap my head around.  And the longer we are alive, the more change we will see in how life is lived.  But seeing that movie theater completely empty tonight, broke my heart a little.  And I can't imagine that movie theaters will be able to sustain and stay open if no one is going to them.  Which means this will become an activity of the past, of my past.  One that I enjoyed immensely.  An experience I most likely will not be able to share with my future grandkids.

And as I drove home, on empty streets and closed businesses - that in pre-pandemic times, would have been bustling at 10pm on a Saturday night - the reality of what this pandemic has caused, has changed, just sinks in a little more.  Covid took away so many things.  It goes without saying that the most tragic of these things are the many people who lost their lives to this horrid virus, the families that will never be the same.  But it also changed the face of businesses and places of recreation, of throngs of brick and mortars and city landscapes.  Things we never saw coming, or never dreamt of losing, so soon, so fast. 

I realize this is a melancholy post, and I am allowing myself to feel that tonight.  We have ALL experienced a lot of loss and changes these last two years of our lives, and not all were bad.  But regardless of it all, time marches on.  We will adapt.  We will move forward and keep going, because that is all we can do.  But we are human and we are allowed our moments of sadness.

Hug your loved ones.  Cherish the beautiful moments.

Cherishingly,

Me

Motivational Moment:

The clock just struck midnight and it is now February 13th.  My twin daughters are now 20 years old.  This will be the first time, since they were born, that we will not all be together to celebrate.  This is not for a bad reason, it is because they are away at college.  So it is a good reason.  It is the next step in their life's journey and I am happy they are doing so well.  But as a momma, it is also another milestone in the passage of time in my life's journey and I am allowed to note it and feel it.  I am so proud of my girls.  They are all beautiful, sensitive souls and they are good people.  They make my heart swell with love just at the thought of them.

So I will end this post on a repeat of what I have already said above, and can't say enough in my lifetime:

Hug your loved ones.  Cherish the beautiful moments.  💖

Peace, Love, and Hugs,

SG



No comments:

Post a Comment