with Life’s Little Laughables

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Family Game Night

Today's blog is one of my Life’s Little LaughablesTM

When my daughters were babies, I heard a co-worker describe his family game night with his children.  It sounded so idyllic to me; a family having a weekly game night where they eat pizza and bond with laughter and good times over games.  I couldn't wait for my kids to be old enough to be able to play board games and for us to have a fun family game night.

Fast forward several years and I excitedly dived into our first evening of fun!  I quickly learned however, that reality did not quite match my idealistic expectations.  What was meant to be an evening of joviality ended up being an evening of frustration and short tempers.  I tried many different games over the course of the last several years, all having the same outcome.  That is, until my daughter's latest birthday a couple of weeks ago.  I am happy to say, we have a new favorite family game...one that we actually enjoy playing together: Telestrations.

The game is for 4 - 6 players.  Each player has a notepad.  They choose a subject from the card they have, write the name on the first page and pass it to the next player, who then has to draw the object on the next page.  The third person then gets the pad and has to guess what the image is and write it on the next page.  The best part of this game is the reveal at the end.  We love seeing how far from the original word the picture ends up being.  (Telestrations is kind of like the game 'Telephone' and Pictionary combined).  I have added a "Best Fails" sheet to the game box so that we can enjoy looking back at what previously caused us great laughter.  Here was one of our "Best Fails" from our last game:


The first person writes the word.

The second person does their best job at drawing the word.

The third person then has to guess the drawing. (I was the guesser for this one...I couldn't figure out what the 'mom' had on her head, but I sure noticed the mean face...perhaps my answer stemmed from a guilty conscience that I have been too crabby lately.)

The fourth person draws the previous word.  This depiction made me laugh out loud.  Now THAT is one ferocious momma!!

The fifth person guesses the previous drawing.  How my 9 year old got a dinosaur-like creature from a drawing of a person, REALLY had us all laughing out loud.


Enjoying the laughter and positive family bonding,

Me

Motivational Moment:

Today's Moment is dedicated to the newest member of my family...our 6 month old kitten:

May you always have new, intriguing adventures.

May you view the ordinary with a new perspective.

May you have a best bud you can simply hang with during your day.

May you always enjoy fabulous, restorative sleep!

Sweet dreams; sleep well.
SG



No comments:

Post a Comment