with Life’s Little Laughables

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Parental Pride

There are many moments in a parents life when they experience a feeling of pride over their child.  These moments can occur for many reasons, simple and small, over the years, such as when your child brings home a good report card, helps out a friend or a sibling, learns how to ride a bike, does a small act of kindness, plays an instrument or a sport well, etc.  The list is truly endless with all the ways your child can make you feel proud.

Today, my 7-year-old truly made me smile and shake my head in wonder.  My mom (who is 68 and pretty incredible, if I do say so myself), watches my kids for me in the summer (I cannot express my gratitude enough to her for this and for the fact that she loves my girls so much!).  Today's agenda was a quick stop at her doctor's before going to see a $1 summer movie.  She was going to have a cortisone shot in her knee.  Apparently, she asked the girls if any of them wanted to come in with her.  (The girls are ages 7, 11, 11, and 13.)  So, of course, it was the 7-year-old that readily agreed to go into the office with her.

When I heard this story, I thought they were going to tell me that her and grandma played a game, or looked into each other's eyes during the injection.  But no, that is not what occurred.  My brave 7-year-old held her grandma's hand and WATCHED the injection going into her knee, while her grandma watched her!  I would have been on the floor if I were in the room, let alone being the one who was receiving the injection.  I asked my daughter how she was able to watch it, and she said, "Well, I didn't know it was going to be such a giant needle!!"

To truly appreciate my amazement, I must take a moment to describe how my two sisters and I are with this type of 'stuff'.  See, we are total wusses when it comes to anything medical.  We feel like passing out just thinking about having any kind of procedure done.  In fact, the word 'procedure' alone has negative connotations and brings on fear.  We could never drive ourselves to the many procedures my mom has faced alone (such as one horrific test to check out her thyroid by jamming a needle into her neck and torturous bladder tests!).  We would need a driver because we would need some kind of anti-anxiety med to get us to and through any such procedures.

The ironic thing here is that our mother has no fear.  She could watch any surgery; she has helped many people recover from surgery.  She has had all kinds of procedures done on herself.  In fact, she has had one knee replaced and has had several back surgeries, the last of which placed many rods and screws in her spine.  You'd think this would make her severely limited in her movement, but it doesn't.  She is always on the go and is a beautiful woman, on the inside and the out, always doing things for others.

We are not quite sure how her three daughters became complete medical wimps while she is a medical warrior.  But I see that my brave, lovely, 7-year-old got Grandma's 'strong' gene.  Who knows, maybe she will grow up to be a surgeon with her no fear attitude!  In any event, and no matter what she decides to do, she is blessed to have grandma's genes in her!


In Amazement, Awe, and Appreciation,
Me


Motivational Moment:


Some advice for my daughters:



Live well, my daughters, for life is short!


No comments:

Post a Comment