with Life’s Little Laughables

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Bucket List

Do you have a Bucket List?
 
Tonight, I was reading an article in the paper written by a Chiropractor (Dr. Paul Bizjak) about having a bucket list.  I have never met Dr. Bizjak, but I always enjoy his weekly articles, as they are always encouraging to live life to the fullest.  This latest article was certainly no different.  He encouraged everyone to write a bucket list and to start fulfilling it now, rather than later when you are no longer physically able.
 
Since I love serendipitous events, I have to share this ironic timing with you.  While I was reading the article, (and immediately knew I wanted to blog about it), I was watching my favorite Wednesday night line up of TV shows.  At the same time that I am reading this article, the TV show Suburgatory came on and it started with an elderly man talking with a younger man in the steam room.  He was talking about his bucket list and all of the stuff that he wanted to do now that he was retired; stuff that he had looked forward to doing his entire life.  Well you know what happened next; he was carted out of the steam room on a stretcher; he had passed away.
 
Both the show and the article was all about living life to the fullest now.  Enjoy what you can now; don't put it off!  (And I got a kick out of the fact that I chose that minute to read that article as the show started.) 
 
This made me think about my bucket list...or more so the fact that I don't have one!  Why don't I have a bucket list?  Do a lot of people have them?  Or very few people?  I could pretty much guess and say that I don't have one because I have a full time job and three kids and who has time for anything else...but I am no longer ok with that excuse.  After thinking about it tonight (and reading about it and watching it on TV), I am going to work on mine!  Everyone is allowed to dream and work toward those dreams!!  And if you don't have a bucket list, then you need to get on it!  Dr. Bizjak encourages people to write down all their bucket lists in a journal by their bed and read it every night, making adjustments as necessary.  I liked how he encouraged everyone to write down all their dreams and wishes, no matter how big or seemingly impossible.  If you write it down, it is more likely to happen.  It also gives you additional motivation to work towards your goals.
 
Dr. Bizjak said it best as he finished his article: "We have no idea what our lives will look like tomorrow, or if we will even be here tomorrow...This is your life.  What are you waiting for?"
 
Damn straight!  This is our life!  Right here, right now.  We don't get a do over (well, unless you believe in reincarnation, and then perhaps you do get a do over.).  I am going to work on my bucket list!  I really have no idea what I will have on it, but the dreaming and imagining sound like a fun exercise.  It fits right into my blog about "What If". 

Let the dreaming begin!
 
Lost in Imagination,
Me
 

Motivational Moment:

1. Some people drift through their entire life. They do it one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time. It happens so gradually they are unaware of how their lives are slipping away until it's too late.  ~Mary Kay Ash

2.  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. ~Wayne Gretzky

3.  Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin. ~Grace Hansen

4.  Every now and then, bite off more than you can chew. ~Kobi Yamada

     Those above quotes are from the following site, which I found to be beautiful and inspirational: http://likemylife.homestead.com/ 

5.  I intend to live forever. Or at the least die trying. ~Taylor E. Bennet

6.  In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away. ~shing xiong

7.  I never want to arrive. I love the ride. ~Coco J. Ginger

8.  All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

9.  If you obey all the rules, you'll miss all the fun. ~ Katherine Hepburn

10.  Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did. ~ Mark Twain  (http://www.positivethinking-toolbox.com/best-life-quotes.html)

And perhaps the most fitting quote for getting out there and living your bucket list:


Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.  ~James Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment