with Life’s Little Laughables

Monday, May 13, 2013

End of School Year Insanity

I have realized that there are three times a year when my typical, every day, busy schedule of raising three kids, gets off-kilter and leans towards the truly chaotic: the start of the school year (http://serenitygoddess.blogspot.com/2012_08_01_archive.html), the weeks leading up to Christmas, and the last month of the school year.

Last week was Teacher Appreciation Week.  This means I had to have three kids prepared with special gifts for 5 days for their teachers (yes - elementary math tells you that I had to have 15 gifts ready to go).  Add to this same week, a 'Star Student' week for daughter C, with special items to bring in every day, and then throw in the stomach flu for 4 days (just for fun) for said 'Star Student'!  Then fast forward to Sunday, after completing that exhausting week, and add hubby getting the stomach flu and daughter B coming down with a horrible cold.  This, of course, was Mother's Day.  Instead of going out to dinner (which was the original plan), I went grocery shopping and made dinner at mom's house with my girls.  We ended up having a good dinner and a nice evening, for which I am thankful.

Looking ahead to the remaining three weeks of the school year:
 - Orchestra concert this Wednesday evening for daughter A,
 - weekend orchestra trip (this weekend) for daughter A,
 - Pulmonologist appointment next Monday morning for daughter C,
 - baby shower next Monday, after work,
 - Band concert next Tuesday evening for daughter B,
 - End of year teacher gifts,
 - Dentist appointments for all three after school on the second to last day of school,
 - Dance classes for all three daughters, preparing for the recital, which is June 1st.

The school year ends on Friday, May 31st.  Right after school that Friday, we rush to Dance Recital rehearsal (really...rehearsal on the night of the last day of school - seriously?!), and then comes Saturday, June 1st:

 - Dance Recital for all three girls,
 - husband's best friend's wedding,
 - graduation party of best friends daughter,
 - day before 8 1/2 hour drive to our beach vacation.

I can't believe how many conflicts we have that day, and all are pretty significant life events for those involved.  'When it rains, it pours', is the saying that comes to mind.  All I can say is, I am thoroughly looking forward to some serious beach down time at the end of all that!!  :)  So excited!

In closing, I want to send a heartfelt wish for peace for my sister who has lived through five, devastating miscarriages.  I know Mother's Day is always heart-breaking for you, for which I am sorry.  I wish you faith in your path in life; I wish you love for who you are and for your life.  I love you.

To my mom: words can not adequately express the love and appreciation I have for you and all that you do.  I thank you eternally for the love you give to my daughters.

To my three, awesome daughters: thank you for your beautiful, handmade cards and gifts.  Thank you for your hugs and for making me laugh.  I love who you are and what you add to my life.


Motheringly Yours,
Me


Motivational Moment:

To all you moms out there, here are some quotes (from http://www.quotegarden.com/mom-day.html) to make you laugh and feel good about what you do and who you are:

 - Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.  ~Author Unknown

 - Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs... since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont

 - A suburban mother's role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car forever after.  ~Peter De Vries

 - A mother understands what a child does not say.  ~Author Unknown

 - Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children, and no theories.  ~John Wilmot

 - A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.  ~Irish Proverb

 - Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.  ~Oprah Winfrey

 - It kills you to see them grow up.  But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't.  ~Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams

 - All mothers are working mothers.  ~Author Unknown

 - Sweater, n.:  garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly.  ~Ambrose

 - Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

 - You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back.  ~William D. Tammeus


May you love your children with all your heart and be filled with joy throughout your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment